1. JQM features¶
- The only dedicated Java batch server
- Open Source under the Apache 2 licence, a business-friendly licence securing your investments in JQM
- No-cost ready to use solution. Paying support can if needed be purchased from the original maintainer at firstname.lastname@example.org or at any other firm open to doing maintenance on the tool.
- Fully documented
Batch code is easy to create:
- Runs existing Java 1.6 code, without need for programming specifically for JQM
- Possible (but not required) to use a specific framework of your choice (Spring batch, etc.)
- Many samples for all features (inside JQM’s own integration tests)
- Specific API to handle file creation and easy retrieval (a file can be created on any server and retrieved from another in a single call)
- Embedded standard JNDI directory with JDBC connection pooling for jobs needing database connectivity
- Jobs can be tested as if they were running inside a JQM node thanks to a test library which can be used in jQuery tests.
- Can easily report an advancement status to users or administrators
- All (always optional) JQM artefacts are published on Maven Central and therefore easily integrate with most build systems
Interacting with batch jobs is simple:
- Query API enabling to easily create client applications (with two full samples included in the distribution), such as web pages listing all the jobs for given user, for a given module, etc.
- Feature rich API with provided Java clients, which can be used out of the box for launching jobs, cancelling them, changing their priorities
Batch packaging: just use your own
- Full Maven 3 support: as a Maven-created jar contains its pom.xml, JQM is able to retrieve all the dependencies, simplifying packaging libraries.
- More classic packaging also supported (library directory, or putting all libraries inside the jar)
Administration is a breathe:
- Both command line and web-based graphic user interface for administration
- Can run as a Windows service or a Linux /etc/init.d script
- Fully ready to run out of the box without complicated configuration
- Supported on most OSes and databases
- Log files can be accessed easily through a central web GUI
- Easy definition of service classes (VIP jobs, standard jobs, ...) through queues
- Easy integration with schedulers and CLI
- Most configuration change are hot-applied, with little to no need for server restarts
- Resists most environment failures (database failure, network failure, ...)
- Maintenance jobs are integrated (mostly purged)
- Can be fully monitored through JMX (a Zabbix template is provided)
- Authentication and permissions handling is fully in-box, including an optional PKI to create client certificates.